[Nagiosplug-help] check_disk doesn't work for me

Gerald Wichmann gwichman at zantaz.com
Mon Nov 11 14:23:02 CET 2002

I've around 10 redhat 7.x systems I'm monitoring for load, proc, ping, smtp,
and file system sizes. The last doesn't work but the others work fine. That
status for all my filesystem checks comes back "unknown" except for 1 system
- the system running nagios. I've copied check_disk over to one of the other
servers and ran it manually and it runs fine locally on the below /dev/hda6.
But when Nagios monitors it it continues to come back unknown with "Unable
to read output:" in the Status column. Kernel is 2.4.19-1.

Any idea whats wrong or how to go about troubleshooting why this is
occurring? Searching google yielded no useful info unfortunetly and I've
been scouring the documentation and finding nothing. I'm not really sure how
nagios invokes check_disk remotely so I can't simulate it "manually"
remotely to see what output it comes back with.

Running it locally after copying check_disk over to the below server:

[root at ps-sm-poly-00 mailSend]# check_disk -c10% -w20% -p /dev/hda6 -v
/bin/df -Pk /dev/hda6 ==> DISK OK - [926884 kB (94%) free on /dev/hda6]
[root at ps-sm-poly-00 mailSend]# check_disk -c10% -w20% -p /dev/hda6
DISK OK - [926884 kB (94%) free on /dev/hda6]

Checkcommands.cfg:

# 'check_local_disk' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_local_disk
        command_line    $USER1$/check_disk -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
        }

services.cfg:

# Service definition
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

        host_name                       ps-sm-pogo-00
        service_description             / Free Space
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  linux-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_local_disk!20%!10%!/dev/hda6
        }

Gerald Wichmann
Senior Systems Development Engineer
Zantaz, Inc.
925.598.3099 (w)

This e-mail has been captured and archived by the ZANTAZ Digital Safe(tm)
service.  For more information, visit us at www.zantaz.com.
IMPORTANT: This electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the
that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or directly reply to the original message(s) sent.  Thank you.