[Nagiosplug-help] problems compiling plugins, 1.3 beta1

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Tue Oct 29 12:05:12 CET 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 14:07, John Murray wrote:
> 	Am working on a x86 with SuSE 8.1 installed.  Have been able to make and
> install nagios, but when I attempt to compile the plugins, I get the
> following error:
>
> cd . && /usr/bin/aclocal
> cd . && /usr/bin/automake --gnu Makefile
> automake: configure.in: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' must be used
> automake: your implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE comes from an
> automake: old Automake version.  You should recreate aclocal.m4
> automake: with aclocal and run automake again.
> make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
>

> As a side note, I had some previous problems with getting this to work, but
> was related to installation of autoconf, which seems to be fixed now.

Referring to a previous post, I have come to the conclusion that we
cannot be compatible with all flavours of automake/autoconf. (This
affects build from CVS only)

The solution for most users is to get tarball sanpshots from
www.debisschop.net/src/nagios. We are working on making those available
on sourceforge as well -- give us a few days.

For now, the CVS should work against automake-1.4p5-4, autoconf-2.13-17
(this is what comes with RedHat 7.3). It also works with RedHat 7.2, and
MAY work with warnings against RedHat8.0

I have not been able to make it work well with RedHat 8.0 (automake
1.6.3/autoconf 2.53) without breaking compatibility with the RH7.3. My
thinking is to keep CVS as is until someone can provide configuration
files that work with all falvours of AM/AC or until the newer falvours
are more well established.

Of course at some point, we will move the AM/AC reference ahead. In many
respcts the newerv ersions are much better. My judgement is that now is
not the time. But I am open to discussion on this point as well.

Hope this helps.

--
Karl