[Nagiosplug-help] FW: Question about check_smtp

Jeff Thompson jthompso at mc.net
Wed Sep 11 08:27:03 CEST 2002

       I'm checking my local email server with check_smtp with no
problems.  When I tried to use check_smtp from the command line to test
a remote mail server I get a socket time out, yet it first comes back
with SMTP ok.  The command and the output is as follows.

[root at Nagios etc]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_smtp x.x.x.x
SMTP OK - 6 second response time
Socket timeout after 10 seconds

I've tried raising the timeout to 120 still receive a timeout.  Yet when
I telnet via port 25 the 220 which is expected is received and I'm able
to issue SMTP commands and quit.  So I'm not sure what the socket
timeout is referring to.  There are firewalls between source and
destination, but I don't see they could be an issue since port 25 is
open.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff