[Nagiosplug-help] FW: Question about check_smtp

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Sep 11 11:44:03 CEST 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Jeff Thompson wrote:

>        I'm checking my local email server with check_smtp with no
> problems.  When I tried to use check_smtp from the command line to test
> a remote mail server I get a socket time out, yet it first comes back
> with SMTP ok.  The command and the output is as follows.
>

> [root at Nagios etc]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_smtp x.x.x.x
> SMTP OK - 6 second response time
> Socket timeout after 10 seconds
>

> I've tried raising the timeout to 120 still receive a timeout.  Yet when
> I telnet via port 25 the 220 which is expected is received and I'm able
> to issue SMTP commands and quit.  So I'm not sure what the socket
> timeout is referring to.  There are firewalls between source and
> destination, but I don't see they could be an issue since port 25 is
> open.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jeff

What version are you using?  what mail server?

Recently we introduced a MAIL command after connection setup to prevent a
sendmail noqueue syslog message.

However Exchange hangs because the MAIL command is not complete.

Try the latest CVS version and either use the -f option or compile the
source with DUMMYCMD = 0

--
-sg