[Nagiosplug-help] Nonprintable characters in check_tcp

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Apr 23 09:10:27 CEST 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Darren Gamble wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I am attempting to configure the check_tcp plugin to check a custom TCP
> service of ours.
>
> However, the string that the check needs to send to the service contains
> nonprintable characters.  I've experimented with a number of ways to escape
> them through the shell on the command line, but nothing works.
>
> I don't think there's any way to do this with the plugin, but, I thought
> that there might be something that I haven't thought of (or if someone can
> confirm that there is indeed no way to do this with the existing plugin).
>
> Thanks in advance,

Have you tried the url encoded string.

-sg

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:29:30 -0400
From: Jason Lancaster <jlancaster at affinity.com>
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Can't use bang (!) as string in services.cfg
check_command
    declaration

In case anyone runs into a similar problem, a friend mentioned how I might
be able to use url encoding to pass the required character for this.

I ran over to http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm and ! is 21, so a simple
change to the command to read:

check_command check_http!-S -u /post.html -P
username=abc&password=%21ab2%21)z%21 -s status

WORKS! :)

Thanks for the input from everyone.

-Jason