[Nagiosplug-help] Checking Remote (local) services

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Tue Feb 4 04:17:03 CET 2003

Karl DeBisschop wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 07:30, David Corbin wrote:
>

>>Karl DeBisschop wrote:

>>>I find the small LAN to be a great place to use check_snmp
>>>--
>>>Karl
>>>

>>Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but that seems like I have to do a lot
>>of configuration of every server to support SNMP then, don't I?  SNMP
>>terminology has always been very confusing to me (not that I might not
>>figure it out this time ;)
>>

>I find ucd-snmp (net-snmp) on RedHat to be pretty easy. I expect it is
>also easy on other unices. Plus, on unix, you generally just config
>once, the copy the file, right?
>
>If you're concerned with windows, then it can be harder. There are some
>people who had used snmp with windows and nagios, but I've not been
>successful. To be fair to M$, I haven't tried to hard. But alot harder
>than I did with ucd-snmp.
>
>--
>Karl

Well, what I mean is there are all sorts of obscurity builtin that I
don't understand (and haven't found clear simple documetation):  MIBs,
Community, security, etc.  I'd love to have a SNMP HOWTO for Linux.
Installing snmp may not be hard, but USING it is another example.

Say, for example, I want to check disk usage.  I know how to do that
using std plugins, or even if I had to write my own.  But how does one
do that using SNMP? I don't even know to identify what to ask for.  How
do I securely set it up so that only I can get the information necessary
even on a publicly accessible host?

David