[Nagiosplug-help] Checking Remote (local) services

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Tue Feb 4 16:51:02 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 07:14, David Corbin wrote:

> Well, what I mean is there are all sorts of obscurity builtin that I
> don't understand (and haven't found clear simple documetation):  MIBs,
> Community, security, etc.  I'd love to have a SNMP HOWTO for Linux.
> Installing snmp may not be hard, but USING it is another example.
>
> Say, for example, I want to check disk usage.  I know how to do that
> using std plugins, or even if I had to write my own.  But how does one
> do that using SNMP? I don't even know to identify what to ask for.  How
> do I securely set it up so that only I can get the information necessary
> even on a publicly accessible host?

That example is readily documented in the config file - net-snmp has
some special purpose handling, in addition to the normal OIDs.

For the normal OIDs, just do an snmpwalk on localhost, pipe it through
less, and browse to your heart's content.

There are also a few examples in command.cfg from the plugins. Enough to
start with at least

--
Karl