[Nagiosplug-help] RE: [Nagios-users] Status: Unknown

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at lbsltd.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 01:11:24 CET 2003

Darren,

It sounds like a configuration error somewhere, have a look at your configs
- I've attached a couple of examples that you can use to check.

For example:

define service{
 use                            default_service
 hostgroup_name                 nt_servers
 service_description            PING
 check_command                  check_ping     <-- should be a valid command
definition
 contact_groups                 nt_admins
}

Also check your command definition for check_ping:

# 'check_ping' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_ping
        command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -w
 50:20% -c 100:100%
        }

Nagios relies on the return code from the check_ping plugin to determine the
status so you can test this by running:

[root at trip etc]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H 10.0.0.1 -w 50:20%
-c 100:100% ; echo $?
PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.95 ms     <-- Output from the plugin
0	<-- Return code (0=OK, 1=WARNING, 2=CRITICAL, any other
value=UNKNOWN)
[root at trip etc]#

Hope this helps, if it doesn't I would suggest posting your problematic
service & command definitions to the mailing-list.

Kind regards,

Steve Freegard
Systems Manager
Littlehampton Book Services Ltd.