[Nagiosplug-help] Checking for a process

Voon, Ton Ton.Voon at egg.com
Thu Jan 30 02:49:04 CET 2003

David,

I'm looking at the help now and I don't fully understand it either:

<quote>
check_snmp (nagios-plugins 1.3.0-beta2) 1.5
The nagios plugins come with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You may redistribute
copies of the plugins under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Ethan Galstad <nagios at nagios.org>

Check the number of currently running processes and generates WARNING or
CRITICAL states if the process count is outside the specified threshold
ranges. The process count can be filtered by process owner, parent process
PID, current state (e.g., 'Z'), or may be the total number of running
processes

Usage:
 check_procs -w <range> -c <range> [-s state] [-p ppid] [-u user]
             [-a argument-array] [-C command]
 check_procs --version
 check_procs --help

Required Arguments:
 -w, --warning=RANGE
    generate warning state if process count is outside this range
 -c, --critical=RANGE
    generate critical state if process count is outside this range

Optional Filters:
 -s, --state=STATUSFLAGS
    Only scan for processes that have, in the output of `ps`, one or
    more of the status flags you specify (for example R, Z, S, RS,
    RSZDT, plus others based on the output of your 'ps' command).
 -p, --ppid=PPID
    Only scan for children of the parent process ID indicated.
 -u, --user=USER
    Only scan for proceses with user name or ID indicated.
 -a, --argument-array=STRING
    Only scan for ARGS that match up to the length of the given STRING
 -C, --command=COMMAND
    Only scan for exact matches to the named COMMAND.

RANGEs are specified 'min:max' or 'min:' or ':max' (or 'max'). If
specified 'max:min', a warning status will be generated if the
count is inside the specified range
</quote>

I'll get the program name at the top fixed ;-)

I think the final paragraph is the confusing one. I think the corrections
should be "If specified 'min:max'" and "outside the specified range".

What would you want it to read?

Ton