[Nagiosplug-help] check_dhcp: Error: Could not bind socket to interface eth0. Check your privileges...

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Mon Jun 30 14:11:08 CEST 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Ira Harkness wrote:

> I get this error on the "Service Detail" screen: Error: Could not bind
> socket to interface eth0. Check your privileges...
>
> I realize that since it is a port under 1024 that "check_dhcp" needs root
> ownership to work. I thought I achived this because of the information shown
> below.
>
> A "ls -al" returns
>
> -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root        23135 Jun 25 10:40 check_dhcp

even though it is owned by root, unless nagios==root the plugin is being
run as nagios.

You need to change the perms to root-SUID with a "chmod +s check_dhcp"

> I noticed that some of the check's such as check_ftp were linked to
> check_tcp. Is there a need for me to link these? I just basically need exact
> instructions on what to do.

A lot of the checks were simple variations on arguments to check_tcp,
these were hardcoded into check_tcp and the symlink provided so that
appropriate logic could be called.  It makes it easier to maintain the
code.  Do NOT link check_dhcp.

--
-sg