[Nagiosplug-help] Questions using negate?

Rose David DRose at snyderdrug.com
Thu Mar 6 10:04:28 CET 2003

Double checked to make sure, but check_ping does require both warning and
critical settings, so omitting one is not possible.  By setting them the
same though, the check should produce only an OK state or a CRITICAL state,
as any time the threshold for a WARNING is crossed, so is the threshold for
the CRITICAL state.

As for other return codes, the new-negate is basically just changing any
return code that is greater than 0 to 0 or any return code equal to 0 to 2.
As I said, this does work off of the command line as it should, but when
tested on both a reachable and non-reachable host in the Nagios application,
they both register as an OK state no matter what the check_ping plugin
reports.

Does Nagios just use return codes in determining an OK/CRITICAL state or is
there something else it may be keying off of?  Or, do plugins behave
differently in Nagios than they do on the command line?  Or does someone
have a better answer as to why the negate plugin-wrapper won't work with
check_ping?

Any continued help would be appreciated.