[Nagiosplug-help] TRU64 Plugins binary upload

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Thu Mar 27 07:27:25 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 02:13:39PM -0000, Voon, Ton wrote:

> Some people have hosted their own compiled versions (eg,
> http://www.bennyvision.com/projects/nagios for the HPUX versions), but the
> problem with these is that they are sometimes out of date and then we get
> mail asking for support when it has been fixed ages ago. The plugins are
> still in a lot of flux, so compiling from source is the best way. In my work
> capacity, I work on Solaris and I only compile from sources - it makes
> applying urgent patches a lot easier.

I thought I would reply to this, as I was named as an example.  :)

Ton has a perfectly valid point of concern, in reguards to precompiled
code.  _I_ personally provide the plugins, etc, in response to seeing
many people having problems building them on HP-UX specifically.
Since I already have a multiple-platform build environment, I thought
I'd throw tarballs up online to help out.

However, I (and I'm sure several others) are providing things like
this using resources that are not their own, so releases have to
be made as those resources come availible.  Hence, due to this
(and in my case, inherent laziness ;) ), they do lag behind
development.  I try to keep mine reasonably up to date, but we all
know how that doesn't work all the time.

This next part is important:

*** If you use the binaries I provide and have problems, I expect
*** that you email ME first (nagios at bennyvision.com), well BEFORE
*** bothering Karl or Subhendu or Ton or anyone else, mailing
*** lists included.  I might need to update code, or you might need
*** to know _how_ I built these to use them effectively.

I'll try to make that a little more clear on my site, and I'd urge
any other people contributing tools/binaries to do the same.  The
core team doesn't know _how_ these are built, _when_ these are
built, etc.  Don't bother them, unless you contact us first.  :)

Benny

ps:  And checking the project page, it looks like I need to run another
build.  ;)  v1.3.0 is out and I must have missed the announcement.

--
86. I will make sure that my doomsday device is up to code and properly
    grounded.