[Nagiosplug-help] Trouble installing plugins - not templatedperhaps?

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Tue Sep 2 20:25:04 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 21:48, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Peter Kiem wrote:
>
> > > In the nagios distribution, there should be a "convertcfg" program or
> > > source in the contrib directory.
> > >
> > > Use it to convert files from the old style to the new style.
> >
> > Yes!  It worked!
> >
> > I converted the command.cfg to the new format, removed the notify commands
> > that were doubled up with the misccommands.cfg file and it is now working!
>
> What was wrong with the initial Nagios file ? I've set up 3 nagios servers
> using these packages without any need to convert anything. Did you need
> something from the nagios-plugins commands.cfg ?
>
> Apart from the fact that I think the default Nagios files are badly
> structured (and the config-files are far from obvious), they do work with
> only a minimum of customization.
>
> If there's anything I can do to integrate things better, let me know. If
> we can change it in the upstream distribution that would be even better.

Sounds like you and I are on the same page, Dag, and the questions I
addressed to your did not need to be posed.

Sometimes packages need to deviate from the upstream distribution. But
it's usually better if the packager's wisdom get pushed all the way back
to the upstream distribution.

In the case of the plugins, this is easy. Let's talk. In the case of
nagios, I can add things to the spec file rather freely, and maybe minor
changes to the autoconf stuff. Per my arrangement with Ethan, however, I
am quite reluctant to make changes elsewhere. But that still leaves some
lattitude.

--
Karl

In the case