[Nagiosplug-help] Error: Could not interpret output from ping command

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Fri Aug 13 04:31:12 CEST 2004

Tom DE BLENDE (GCC) wrote:

> Sand Philipp wrote:
>
>> Maybe you should do check_ping --help and learn about using the plugin
>> ;)
>>

> I've been working with Nagios and previously Netsaint for a few years
> now and have contributed some plugins myself. I do know how to use
> plugins, and believe it or not, I do know what to expect when I add --help.
>
>> A right way to execute the plugin would be something like that:
>> #./check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 600.0,100% -c 800.0,100% -p 5
>>

> If you like...
>
> [root at gcclo77 libexec]# ./check_ping -H d3178oc1 -w 600.0,100% -c
> 800.0,100% -p 5
> /bin/ping -n -U -c 5 d3178oc1
> Error: Could not interpret output from ping command

I expect that when it says "could not interpret output," that's what it
means - you said what OS you were on, I forget which, but it was not one
of the biggest players on the market, IIRC. So we simply may noy have
the output messages yet.

Can you run the raw ping that is shown in the output and send the reslts
to me so I can modify the check_ping code?

Meanwhile, while there are possible license issues (i.e., it is not GPL)
delaying inclsion of check_icmp, you may want to try using it or using
check_fping insetad of check_ping. License issues aside, all reports on
check_icmp have been quite positive.

--
Karl