[Nagiosplug-help] Could not open ntpdate

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Tue Aug 31 13:58:04 CEST 2004

strings /web/apps/nagios/libexec/check_ntp |grep /

...and look to see where it is trying to find ntpdate.  It might have a
compiled in location that is different from yours.

OR... if it is using the path, make sure that ntpdate is in nagios's path.
"su - nagios" and try the command.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 03:21:36PM -0500, Ron Carver wrote:
> I am setting up my nagios system to monitor NTP on all of our servers
> (about 60).  all but 3 are working fine.  On those 3, when I try to run
> /web/apps/nagios/libexec/check_ntp -H <hostname>  -w 180 -c 300  (same
> exact format as the others, only hostname is different on each)  I get
> the following error.
>
> Could not open ntpdate
>
> The XNTP is running fine, the date/time is correct on the server, and
> when I try to run something
> like
>

> # ntpdate -q <ntp server>
> I get
> server 10.8.51.2, stratum 3, offset 0.001669, delay 0.02609
> 31 Aug 15:18:56 ntpdate[18850]: adjust time server 10.8.51.2 offset
> 0.001669 sec
>
> So everything appears to be fine and dandy.  any ideas whats up with the
> script?
>
> all of the boxen are sun boxes running solaris 9, but I have several
> other sun boxes running solaris 9 that work just fine.
>

> --
> Ron Carver
>
> System Administrator
> www.IN.gov
> rcarver at www.IN.gov
> Phone: 317-234-2575
> Fax: 317-233-2011

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
> This E-mail and any attachments are confidential.  If you are not the
> intended recipient, you do not have permission to disclose, copy,
> distribute, or open any attachments.  If you have received this E-mail
> in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and
> delete this copy from your system. Thank you.
> accessIndiana, MyLocal.IN.gov, CivicNet

Joe Rhett
Senior Geek
Meer.net