[Nagiosplug-help] Syntax Question for NRPE in services.cfg

L. Mark Stone LMStone at RNoME.com
Thu Jun 24 19:05:03 CEST 2004

I'm trying to use NRPE 2 to monitor a remote Linux host, but am having
problems with the syntax for doing so in the services.cfg file on the
Nagios host.

I believe I have configured NRPE on both the Nagios server (called
"inside") and the monitored host (at 172.22.6.14) because I can run
check_nrpe at a root command prompt from the Nagios host successfully,
calling custom commands that exist only on the monitored host, and
returning information for devices that exist on the monitored host and
not on the Nagios monitoring server.

Both the Nagios server and the monitored host are running SuSE Linux
9.0, and both are running the exact same version of nrpe.

If I run the following on the Nagios monitoring server:
inside:/usr/lib/nagios/plugins # ./check_nrpe - H 172.22.6.14 -p 1248 -c
check_disk1

I get back:
DISK OK [3172228 kB (30%) free on /dev/sda5]

But when I try to use the check_nrpe command in services.cfg, I get
errors.

I've tried:
check_command		check_nrpe!check_disk1
check_command		check_nrpe! -H 172.22.6.14 -p 1248 -c check_disk1

Clearly, I'm missing something fundamental about the syntax for using
check_nrpe in services.cfg.

Thanks!