[Nagiosplug-help] SNMP checks for Compaq mibs

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Jun 26 07:56:06 CEST 2004

Mike Feetham wrote:
> I am trying to monitor disk space on some Compaq/HP servers, running various
> Windows platforms.  Since they already have the Compaq Insight SNMP services
> running on them, our corporate policy forbids us from installing any other
> SNMP agents, or MIB updates (like snmp4tpc).
>
> I have created commands using the check_snmp plugin, aiming them at the OIDs
> from the Compaq mibs.
>
>>From what I can find, the Compaq mibs will only show total drive size and
> space used.  What we really need is space free, not space used.  Other than
> writing a script to subtract used space from total space, does anyone have a
> cleaner solution for getting what we want?
>
> Is there an OID I'm missing in the Compaq mibs that has this info?

Probably not. The usual way of operations for snmp is to give out enough
info to make anything computable (total - used = free, so that's
computable). This is for the benefit of the serving host, since it
doesn't have to keep track of so many things at once, and thus can save
up a lot of memory.

> I know there are dozens of different ways to get the same results, but what
> would other Nagios users suggest is the most efficient and secure way of
> getting this SNMP info?

Fetch it, compute it, match it against thresholds and give some output.
That's how most (all?) plugins work, and there's a good reason for it.
As for security, you should use snmp v 3, since it supports encryption.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB
andreas.ericsson at op5.se