[Nagiosplug-help] Problem with processes and check_rpocs

Andreas Baetz lac01 at web.de
Tue Mar 9 06:08:02 CET 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 10:53, d.deboni at edexter.it wrote:
> Hi to everyone,
>
> I want to check if a process is running on a remote machine.
>
> I have a server with nagios which run the check_nrpe plugin with this
> syntax (into checkcommands.cfg file)    :
>
> check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -a $ARG2$ $ARG3$ $ARG4$
>
> where ARG1 is the remote plugin I want to run (check_procs in this case).
> ARG3 and ARG4 are the other parameters (the name of the process, warning
> and crititical).
>
> On the remote machine (AIX 4.3) is running the nrpe daemon.
> It works all ok but I get alway a positive response even if there are no
> processes running with that name.
> Here's an example:
>
> OK - 0 processes running with args db2
>
> I want to get a critical alert if there are no processes running with
> these args..
>
> can anybody help me?

With check_nrpe you call the remote daemon.
Parameters of check_nrpe is, amongst others, the check you want to perform on the remote host.
(use "check_nrpe" to see the parameter description)
One Parameter would be e.g. check_procs, which would be found in the remote
/etc/nrpe.cfg, where the actual check is called with the parameters for this check.
For check_proc you can use "check_procs --help" to get info,
which produces (amongts others):

"RANGEs are specified 'min:max' or 'min:' or ':max' (or 'max'). If
specified 'max:min', a warning status will be generated if the
count is inside the specified range"

Hope this helps
Andreas Baetz