[Nagiosplug-help] check_tcp syntax

Rob Enders renders at cknxradio.com
Fri Mar 12 07:40:07 CET 2004

Hi all.. I am trying to test the port of a service that monitors the K8000
DAC card. It runs on port 1972. The author of the software states that all
commands must be ended with a newline charactor '\n'.

If I telnet to port 1972, I can send the command 'i1' followed by the enter
key and the software will return a '0' which states that input one is off.
If the input was on, the software will return a '1'. To end the session, I
enter a 'Q' followed by the enter key twice.
So, it works well manually.

If I run check_tcp against the port with no other options, I get TCP OK -
0.002 second response time on port 1972|time=  0.002, which indicates that
the connection is functioning.

But if I try to add -s "i1" -e "0" -q "Q", the response is 'Socket timeout
after 10 seconds'

I get the same response if I change it to -s "i1\n" -e "0" -q "Q\n"..

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Rob