[Nagiosplug-help] Re: Oracle Plugin - check_oracle_instance.pl - Not Working from Nagios

Andrew Howe chairmanhowe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 01:01:05 CET 2004

Andrew Howe <chairmanhowe at ...> writes:

> Hi There
>
> I am trying to configure Oracle checks for Nagios.
> The base check_oracle check is working correctly.  I
> am able to correctly check my Oracle database using
> the check_oracle_instance.pl plugin from the command
> line.
>
> When I try and configure this in Nagios - ie I have
> added the relevent info/config to the
> checkcommands.cfg file and the services.cfg file (all
> configuration/syntax is correct) Nagios returns the
> incorrect information.
>
> When Nagios runs the check it just returns the name of
> the Instance I am trying to check and not the data it
> is supposed to as it does from a command line.
>
> The trip time is quite long and i was wondering if
> there is a timeout issue? Any ideas?
>
> If anyone has experienced this or has a work around i
> would appreciate it.
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew

Hello Everyone

One of my colleagues has come up with a solution.  The change that was made was
relatively simple.  Inorder for the plugin to work it was necesary to specify
the ORACLE_HOME directory in the ROOT users environment variables as well as in
the Nagios and Oracle user environment variables.

As ROOT - Locate the following file

/etc/profile

At the bottom add the following lines:

export ORACLE_HOME=/opt/ora9/product/9.2 #Or where ever your Oracle install is
export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/Apache/Apache/bin:$PATH

That should get things working.

Cheers

Andrew