[Nagiosplug-help] NSCLIENT - Monitoring a service with space character in its real name

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 23:53:09 CEST 2005

This is one of the main advantages of testing NC_Net.

NSClient does not allow for Display names.

NC_Net was developed to be installed without needing to modify the
nagios configuration for already existing NSClients.
The only reconfiguring would be any non-default settings of NSClient
and disabling of NSClient in services.

NC_Net also has several new commands to assist with setting up for
example it implements a command that will list all Services based on
their startup type or current state.  (NC_Net also accepts both
display names or short names without any difference in the command)

NC_Net also has the ability functions as Passive check or Active
checks (or both)
I have not tested NC_Net for hyphens in the name but I think it should
work, I although there would be an issue with active checks using the
& in a name - but this should be a problem with NSClient as well
check_nt uses the & as a delimiter for the arguments in the command
sent to NC_Net/NSCLient.

There is a difference with resource usage.
NC_Net requires WMI (integrated in windows 2k or later, can be
downloaded for earlier versions) Dot Net v1.1 It also typically uses
under 10 Megs of memory.  Actual memory size varies based on checks
being done, EventLog checks use more memory than most other checks.

NC_Net can be downloaded from Nagios Exchange or it home page at:
www.shatterit.com/NC_Net

Good Luck
TOny

On Apr 6, 2005 10:33 AM, Luis Noronha <luis.noronha at oni.pt> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're having trouble using "check_nt" (NSCLIENT plug-in) to monitor services
> that have a space character in its name (e.g. "Service ABC").
---SNIP---