[Nagiosplug-help] How to interpret CRC32 errors?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Aug 4 07:59:24 CEST 2005

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
  > I would submit the script hadn't I received contemptuous
> reactions by some expert here on last occasion.

You're asking people to help you on their spare time. Most of your
questions so far have been either no-brainers that you would have been
able to figure out for yourself had you made the effort, or of the kind
that would take considerable effort to answer properly.

On a sidenote, it's considered very rude to cross-post unless you're
making an announcement of some sort, so please refrain from doing so in
the future.

> The script doesn't require higher privileges than the nrpe daemon
> has,
> and it doesn't produce any output (apart from the final oneliner
> indicating the state),
> nor does it attempt to write anywhere.
>
> If I run it at the shell under the uid of the nrpe daemon it
> works fine.

Did you log in as the NRPE user or did you just su? su'ing maintains the
environment settings of the old user, which will have effect on some
programs.

> $ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_hpva.sh
>
> OK:     HP Virtual Array "va" on inwo2 all FRUs State Good
>
> Whereas when I run it via check_nrpe I receive the to me
> meaningless CRC32 error.
>
> $ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 127.0.0.1 -c
> check_hpva_INWO2
> CHECK_NRPE: Response packet had invalid CRC32.
>
> In nrpe.cfg it's defined as
>
> $ grep check_hpva /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
> command[check_hpva_INWO2]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_hpva.sh
>

> What's going on here?

check_hpva.sh prints something to stderr. This causes the NRPE daemon to
miscalculate the checksum. When the plugin does the same it arrives at
an invalid result.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer