[Nagiosplug-help] A question about Nagios

Andreas Baetz lac01 at web.de
Wed Jan 19 23:51:37 CET 2005

On Thursday 20 January 2005 07:17, Soeun Vanny wrote:
> Thank you very much for your prompt response. Actuallly, I did resolve the
> problem. Anyway, I can't bring myself to agree with that. You know! I just
> disabled  the active checks of  all distributed hosts on the monitoring
> center, and everything went normal yesterday. Might it be the flood of ping
> checks to those distributed hosts caused Nagios to stall ? (ping is blocked
> by a firewall on the distributed side)
>
> cheers,
> vanny

check_ping has a timeout if the host doesn't answer. The check doesn't return until
the timeout is over in that case. The default timeout is 10 s.
So, if the particular host doesn't answer, check_ping takes 10 s by default until it returns.
If you have many hosts that do not answer, you would have many check_ping commands
running at any given time.
You could omit the checks to hosts that you know don't answer or set the timeout to 1
to shorten the time until check_ping returns.
You could check if you have enabled parallel checks (e.g. max_concurrent_checks=0)

Andreas