[Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe build sucks

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Wed Jul 13 23:14:11 CEST 2005

Sorry for my frequent posting but I'm getting frustrated.

On the Nagios server I've now moved the check_nrpe AIX build into
@libexecdir@

On one monitored HPUX 11.00 host where an Oracle DB is servicing
I set up the nrpe daemon like this

[root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
# uname -srv
HP-UX B.11.00 U

[root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
# grep nrpe /etc/{services,inetd.conf}
/etc/services:nrpe              5666/tcp
/etc/inetd.conf:nrpe    stream tcp nowait nagios
/opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe nrpe -c /opt/nrpe/etc/nrpe.cfg --inetd

For first tests I defined a couple of check_oracle commands in
nrpe.cfg

[root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
# grep '^[^#]' /opt/nrpe/etc/nrpe.cfg
server_port=@nrpe_port@
allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1
nrpe_user=@nrpe_user@
nrpe_group=@nrpe_grp@
dont_blame_nrpe=0
debug=0
command_timeout=60
command[check_tns_FREMD]=@libexecdir@/check_oracle --env
ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
/bin --tns FREMD
command[check_db_FREMD]=@libexecdir@/check_oracle --env
ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
/bin --db FREMD
command[check_login_FREMD]=@libexecdir@/check_oracle --env
ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
/bin --login FREMD

I posted yesterday that I slightly modified the check_oracle
shell script by adding an --env switch for providing the required
Oracle environment.

Running all the above defined commands on the remote HPUX host
work.

e.g.

[root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_oracle --env
ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME/bin --tns
FREMD                     <
OK - reply time 70 msec from FREMD

I then reinitialized inetd on the remote host by sending it a
SIGHUP,
which is achieved on HPUX by simply issuing "/usr/sbin/inetd -c"

>From syslog.log I can see that inetd registered the new service
and it bound a listening socket to port 5666.

[root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
# grep nrpe /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
Jul 14 07:41:47 terra inetd[736]: nrpe/tcp: Added service, server
/opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe

[root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
# netstat -anfinet|grep 5666
tcp        0      0  *.5666                 *.*
LISTEN

Now when I try to run check_nrpe from the Nagios server to
connect to the listening nrpe daemon on terra and dropping the
check_tns_FREMD command there I get this shit

$ uname -srv
AIX 3 4

$ id -nu
nagios

$ libexec/check_nrpe -H terra -p 5666 -c check_tns_FREMD
CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

How come?
When I compiled check_nrpe.c I dismissed the SSL switches during
configure which should have produced an appropiate Makefile in
src.

Ah, I think I noticed that I only allowed localhost requests in
nrpe.cfg (see above).

Let me fix this by adding the IP address of the Nagios server.
I think as nrpe daemon on terra is started through inetd that no
further signalling is required.
I trust nrpe will consult nrpe.cfg each time when it is spawned
by inetd.

But wait, the comment reads differently

# ALLOWED HOST ADDRESSES
# This is a comma-delimited list of IP address of hosts that are
allowed
# to talk to the NRPE daemon.
#
# NOTE: The daemon only does rudimentary checking of the client's
IP
#       address.  I would highly recommend adding entries in your
#       /etc/hosts.allow file to allow only the specified host to
connect
#       to the port you are running this daemon on.
#
# NOTE: This option is ignored if NRPE is running under either
inetd or xinetd

allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1

So what?

nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: RE: [Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe build sucks
>

> Well, I simply made the target check_nrpe from within the src
> subdir, and it produced an executable.
>
> Since I don't need the nrpe daemon on my AIX box, do you
> think it would suffice if I copied the check_nrpe binary to
> my @libexec@ directory of the Nagios server?
>

> # make check_nrpe
>         gcc -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include/openssl
> -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o check_nrpe che
> ck_nrpe.c utils.c -L/usr/local/lib  -lssl -lcrypto -lnsl
> check_nrpe.c: In function `main':
> check_nrpe.c:205: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_write' from
> incompatible pointer type
> check_nrpe.c:222: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_read' from
> incompatible pointer type
>
> # file check_nrpe
> check_nrpe:     executable (RISC System/6000) or object
> module not stripped
>
> # ldd check_nrpe
> /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so)
> /usr/local/lib/libssl.a(libssl.so)
> /usr/lib/libc.a(pse.o)
> /usr/lib/libtli.a(shr.o)
> /usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_comm.o)
> /usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr.o)
> /usr/lib/libpthreads_compat.a(shr.o)
> /usr/lib/libnsl.a(shr.o)
> check_nrpe
> /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr.o)
> /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o)
>

> # ./check_nrpe -h
>
> NRPE Plugin for Nagios
> Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
> Version: 2.0
> Last Modified: 09-08-2003
> License: GPL with exemptions (-l for more info)
> SSL/TLS Available: Anonymous DH Mode, OpenSSL 0.9.6 or higher
required

> <command>] [-a <arglist...>]

>  <host>     = The address of the host running the NRPE daemon
>  [port]     = The port on which the daemon is running
(default=5666)
>  [timeout]  = Number of seconds before connection times out
> (default=10)
>  [command]  = The name of the command that the remote daemon
> should run
>  [arglist]  = Optional arguments that should be passed to the
> command.  Multiple
>               arguments should be separated by a space.  If
> provided, this must be
>               the last option supplied on the command line.
>
> Note:
> This plugin requires that you have the NRPE daemon running on
> the remote host.
> You must also have configured the daemon to associate a
> specific plugin command
> with the [command] option you are specifying here.  Upon
> receipt of the
> [command] argument, the NRPE daemon will run the appropriate
> plugin command and
> send the plugin output and return code back to *this* plugin.
>  This allows you
> to execute plugins on remote hosts and 'fake' the results to
> make Nagios think
> the plugin is being run locally.

Of
> > Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
> > Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:28 AM
> > To: ae at op5.se; nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: RE: [Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe build sucks
> >

> > Hello Andreas,
> >
> > to start with, I was well aware that I would need the
check_nrpe
> > only to be run on the Manager
> > (i.e. Nagios Server).
> >
> > This is where it sucks, as I put it.
> >
> > You see, I would be a happy camper if I could take any Linux
box
> > as my Manager.
> > I know how smoothly most Open Source projects compile under
Linux
> > (no wonder I'd bet because the developers might well have
been
> > using this platform)
> > Unfortunately to my great dissatisfaction and frustration I
am
> > stuck to this bloody AIX box to host the Nagios server, as it
is
> > our admin server that alone has open SSH ports to every of
our
> > hosts I need to monitor.
> > So it wouldn't make much sense to set up a Linux Nagios
server
> > that could be done in a wink, I guess,
> > for I couldn't reach most of the firewalled hosts with the
> > plug-ins from there.
> > I think IBM bragged about latest AIX versions being capable
of
> > running Linux binaries in a sandbox.
> > Unfortunately this AIX box of ours has a dated OS, and I am
not
> > the sysadmin on this server to be allowed to fiddle with any
> > major installations of prerequisites such as patches,
libraries
> > etc.
> >

> > This is the OS release
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > AIX daisy 3 4 0045CB7A4C00
> >
> > Don't ask me how to get patch levels and the likes displayed
> > because my cup of tea are HPUX, Solaris and Linux.
> > I don't even know how to query for installed software
packages (I
> > only know HP's SD tools like swlist, swinstall,
> > Solaris' pkginfo, pkgchk, or Linux's rpm, apt etc.
> > Besides, an OS that I cannot administrate thoroughly from the
> > shell is suspicious to me.
> > So I've never made friends with smit/smitty.
> >
> > The linker on this AIX box that is found first in my PATH
> > identifies as such
> >
> > $ which ld
> > /usr/bin/ld
> >
> > $ ld -v
> > ld: 0706-030 No processing done.  Specify at least one
> >         input or import file or use at least one -b ex<n>
option.

> > $ ld -h
> > ld: 0706-012 The -h flag is not recognized.
> > ld: 0706-030 No processing done.  Specify at least one
> >         input or import file or use at least one -b ex<n>
option.

> > Argh, typically AIX I would say.
> > I loath programs that don't display a minimal help screen and
> > reveal their release version.
> >

> > Can you make anything out of this?
> >
> > As for the OpenSSL version you asked about.
> > I also totally dismissed any SSL switches on a subsequent
> > configure run after having removed prior created Makefiles by
> > make distclean because I also suspected an type mismatch in
SSL
> > header files to be the culprit.
> > Nevertheless, the outcome was the same.
> > So I don't consider OpenSSL idiosyncracies to be the reason.
> >

> > # make distclean
> >         cd ./src/; make clean ; cd ..
> >         rm -f core nrpe check_nrpe
> >         rm -f *~ */*~
> >         rm -f core
> >         rm -f *~ */*~
> >         cd ./src/; make distclean ; cd ..
> >         rm -f core nrpe check_nrpe
> >         rm -f *~ */*~
> >         rm -f Makefile
> >         rm -f config.log config.status config.cache nrpe.cfg
> > nrpe.xinetd subst ./common//config.h init
> > -script init-script.debian init-script.freebsd
> >         rm -f Makefile
> >

> > # ./configure --prefix=/opt/sw/nagios
--with-nagios-user=nagios
> > --with-nagios-group=nagios --with-nagios-port=5666
> > checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
> > checking for gcc... gcc
> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a
cross-compiler... no
> > checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> > checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> > checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> > checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
> > checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> > checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be
included...
> > yes
> > checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
> > checking for ctype.h... yes
> > checking for dirent.h... yes
> > checking for errno.h... yes
> > checking for fcntl.h... yes
> > checking for getopt.h... no
> > checking for grp.h... yes
> > checking for inttypes.h... yes
> > checking for netdb.h... yes
> > checking for pwd.h... yes
> > checking for signal.h... yes
> > checking for stdint.h... no
> > checking for strings.h... yes
> > checking for string.h... yes
> > checking for syslog.h... yes
> > checking for unistd.h... yes
> > checking for arpa/inet.h... yes
> > checking for netinet/in.h... yes
> > checking for sys/types.h... yes
> > checking for sys/time.h... yes
> > checking for sys/resource.h... yes
> > checking for sys/wait.h... (cached) yes
> > checking for sys/socket.h... yes
> > checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> > checking for working const... yes
> > checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h...
time.h

http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html
> [...]
> > nrpe.c:755: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_read' from
> > incompatible pointer type
> > nrpe.c:927: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_write' from
> > incompatible pointer type
> > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .get_dh512
> > ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain
more
> > information.
> > collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
> > make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
> >

> > Stop.
> > make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.
> >

> > Stop.
> >

> > No object files have been created thus far
> >
> > # find . -type f -name \*.o -ls
> >
> > This looks to me like a missing type definition from any
missing
> > header file.
> >
> > I don't know how to make use of the hint from the linker to
try
> > using switches -bloadmap or -bnoquiet
> > to get further details.
> > This doesn't
> >
> > # cd src
> >
> > # gcc -Xlinker -bloadmap -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include/openssl
> > -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o
> > nrpe nrpe.c utils.c -L/usr/local/lib  -lssl -lcrypto -lnsl
> > nrpe.c: In function `main':
> > nrpe.c:198: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
> > without a cast
> > nrpe.c: In function `handle_connection':
> > nrpe.c:755: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_read' from
> > incompatible pointer type
> > nrpe.c:927: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_write' from
> > incompatible pointer type
> > ld: 0706-015 The -b loadmap option needs a parameter.
> >         Option syntax: -b loadmap:PARM
> > collect2: ld returned 255 exit status
> >

> > Ah, maybe the more verbose output from -bnoquiet is more
> > revealing to you?
> >

> > # gcc -Xlinker -bnoquiet -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include/openssl
> > -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o
> > nrpe nrpe.c utils.c -L/usr/local/lib  -lssl -lcrypto -lnsl
> > nrpe.c: In function `main':
> > nrpe.c:198: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
> > without a cast
> > nrpe.c: In function `handle_connection':
> > nrpe.c:755: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_read' from
> > incompatible pointer type
> > nrpe.c:927: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_write' from
> > incompatible pointer type
> > (ld): halt 4
> > (ld): setopt r/o->w
> > (ld): setopt nodelcsect
> > (ld): savename nrpe
> > (ld): filelist 9 4
> > (ld): i /lib/crt0.o
> > (ld): i /tmp/ccAlTMx1.o
> > (ld): i /tmp/ccpYRSS6.o
> > (ld): lib /usr/local/lib/libssl.a
> > (ld): lib /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.a
> > (ld): lib /usr/lib/libnsl.a
> > (ld): i
> > /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0/2.95.3/libgcc.a
> > (ld): lib /usr/lib/libg.a
> > (ld): lib /usr/lib/libc.a
> > LIBRARY: Shared object libssl.a[libssl.so]: 318 symbols
imported.
> > LIBRARY: Shared object libcrypto.a[libcrypto.so]: 1839
symbols
> > imported.
> > LIBRARY: Shared object libnsl.a[shr.o]: 358 symbols imported.
> > LIBRARY: Shared object libc.a[shr.o]: 2268 symbols imported.
> > LIBRARY: Shared object libc.a[meth.o]: 2 symbols imported.
> > LIBRARY: Shared object libc.a[aio.o]: 11 symbols imported.
> > LIBRARY: Shared object libc.a[pse.o]: 78 symbols imported.
> > LIBRARY: Shared object libc.a[dl.o]: 4 symbols imported.
> > LIBRARY: Shared object libc.a[pty.o]: 1 symbols imported.
> > FILELIST: Number of previously inserted files processed: 9
> > (ld): imports /tmp/ccOaE0PW.p
> > IMPORTS: Symbols imported from import file /tmp/ccOaE0PW.p: 0
> > (ld): exports /usr/lib/libg.exp
> > EXPORTS: Symbols exported: 4
> > (ld): exports /tmp/ccczJ03I.x
> > EXPORTS: Symbols exported: 0
> > (ld): resolve
> > RESOLVE: 441 of 6329 symbols were kept.
> > (ld): addgl /usr/lib/glink.o
> > ADDGL: Glink code added for 97 symbols.
> > (ld): er full
> > ld: 0711-318 ERROR: Undefined symbols were found.
> >         The following symbols are in error:
> >  Symbol                    Inpndx  TY CL
Source-File(Object-File)
> > OR Import-File{Shared-object}
> >                               RLD: Address  Section  Rld-type
> > Referencing Symbol

> > -----------------------------
> > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .get_dh512
> >  .get_dh512                [58]    ER PR
nrpe.c(/tmp/ccAlTMx1.o)
> >                                    000004a8 .text    R_RBR
> > [898]   .main
> > ER: The return code is 8.
> > collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
> >

> > Sorry, I'm not a C hacker to make much out of that.
> > Do you see where I get the missing definition from?
> >

> > I need urgently a working check_nrpe binary for my AIX
platform.

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Search_Projects.43.0.html?tx_netnag
> > required

AIX
> > with a
> > linking
> > high
> > these
> > > >

> > > This is due to the header-files found on most HPUX boxen,
which
> > are
> > > usually broken unless you use the HPUX C pre-processor.

> > depot

NRPE
> > depot

> > check_*
> > >

> > > How come? Did you expect all the logic to be built into
nrpe?

> > depots.

> > and
> > check_npre
> > > >

> > > You don't need the check_nrpe binary on the system you want

> > > to monitor.
> > > You only need it on the server where Nagios is running.

> > available)

/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0/2.95.3/specs

integer
> > more
> > > >

> > > What linker are you using? What's the version of your
openssl
> > > installation? nrpe (and check_nrpe) requires 0.9.6 or
later.

> > AIX
> > on
> > > >

> > > You only need check_nrpe on the nagios server.

Nagios
> > got
check_disks
> > etc.

> > plugins/Makefile

> > the

> > Makefile
> > /usr/local/tmp/nagios-plugins-1.4/plugins-scripts/Makefile

$(AM_MAKEFLAGS)
$(top_builddir)/config.status

> > much.

> > Nagios