[Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe build sucks

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Thu Jul 14 04:29:14 CEST 2005

Found another time gap to further fiddle with NRPE.

Since ldd check_nrpe listed libssl and libcrypt to be linked
against
(what I had assumed to having had avoided by simply not supplying
the --enable-ssl switch to caonfigure)
I recleaned and reconfigured, this time explicitly passing
--disable-ssl

Then make all finished without errors.

But when I now run the newly built executable it claims not to
pass a CRC check.

Where the hack is this coming from?

# src/check_nrpe -H terra -p 5666 -c check_tns_FREMD
CHECK_NRPE: Response packet had invalid CRC32.

# ldd src/check_nrpe
/usr/lib/libc.a(pse.o)
/usr/lib/libtli.a(shr.o)
/usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr_comm.o)
/usr/lib/libpthreads.a(shr.o)
/usr/lib/libpthreads_compat.a(shr.o)
/usr/lib/libnsl.a(shr.o)
src/check_nrpe
/usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr.o)
/usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o)

Hm, there's still libcrypt involved.

Do have to rebuild with additional switch --disable-crypto ?

configure --help doesn't mention such an option.

Should I try to build the nrpe daemon on the HPUX remote host as
well from the sources,
explicitly disabling any crypto links?
Remember that I download the prebuilt nrpe depot for HPUX 11.00
PARISC.

# chatr /opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe
/opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe:
         shared executable
         shared library dynamic path search:
             SHLIB_PATH     disabled  second
             embedded path  disabled  first  Not Defined
         shared library list:
             dynamic   /usr/lib/libnsl.1
             dynamic   /usr/lib/libc.2
         shared library binding:
             deferred
         global hash table disabled
         plabel caching disabled
         global hash array size:1103
         global hash array nbuckets:3
         shared vtable support disabled
         static branch prediction disabled
         executable from stack: D (default)
         kernel assisted branch prediction enabled
         lazy swap allocation disabled
         text segment locking disabled
         data segment locking disabled
         third quadrant private data space disabled
         fourth quadrant private data space disabled
         third quadrant global data space disabled
         data page size: D (default)
         instruction page size: D (default)
         nulptr references enabled
         shared library private mapping disabled
         shared library text merging disabled

Of
> Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
> Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 8:10 AM
> To: ae at op5.se; nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: RE: [Nagiosplug-help] check_nrpe build sucks
>

> Sorry for my frequent posting but I'm getting frustrated.
>
> On the Nagios server I've now moved the check_nrpe AIX build
into
> @libexecdir@
>
> On one monitored HPUX 11.00 host where an Oracle DB is
servicing
> I set up the nrpe daemon like this
>
> [root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
> # uname -srv
> HP-UX B.11.00 U
>
> [root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
> # grep nrpe /etc/{services,inetd.conf}
> /etc/services:nrpe              5666/tcp
> /etc/inetd.conf:nrpe    stream tcp nowait nagios
> /opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe nrpe -c /opt/nrpe/etc/nrpe.cfg --inetd
>
> For first tests I defined a couple of check_oracle commands in
> nrpe.cfg
>
> [root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
> # grep '^[^#]' /opt/nrpe/etc/nrpe.cfg
> server_port=@nrpe_port@
> allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1
> nrpe_user=@nrpe_user@
> nrpe_group=@nrpe_grp@
> dont_blame_nrpe=0
> debug=0
> command_timeout=60
> command[check_tns_FREMD]=@libexecdir@/check_oracle --env

ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
> /bin --tns FREMD
> command[check_db_FREMD]=@libexecdir@/check_oracle --env

ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
> /bin --db FREMD
> command[check_login_FREMD]=@libexecdir@/check_oracle --env

ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
> /bin --login FREMD
>

> I posted yesterday that I slightly modified the check_oracle
> shell script by adding an --env switch for providing the
required
> Oracle environment.
>
> Running all the above defined commands on the remote HPUX host
> work.
>
> e.g.
>
> [root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
> # /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_oracle --env

ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME
> =/app/oracle/product/9.2.0,PATH=/usr/bin:\$ORACLE_HOME/bin
--tns
> FREMD                     <
> OK - reply time 70 msec from FREMD
>
> I then reinitialized inetd on the remote host by sending it a
> SIGHUP,
> which is achieved on HPUX by simply issuing "/usr/sbin/inetd
-c"

> From syslog.log I can see that inetd registered the new service
> and it bound a listening socket to port 5666.
>
> [root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
> # grep nrpe /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
> Jul 14 07:41:47 terra inetd[736]: nrpe/tcp: Added service,
server
> /opt/nrpe/bin/nrpe
>
> [root at terra:/opt/nrpe]
> # netstat -anfinet|grep 5666
> tcp        0      0  *.5666                 *.*
> LISTEN
>

> Now when I try to run check_nrpe from the Nagios server to
> connect to the listening nrpe daemon on terra and dropping the
> check_tns_FREMD command there I get this shit
>
> $ uname -srv
> AIX 3 4
>
> $ id -nu
> nagios
>
> $ libexec/check_nrpe -H terra -p 5666 -c check_tns_FREMD
> CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.
>

> How come?
> When I compiled check_nrpe.c I dismissed the SSL switches
during
> configure which should have produced an appropiate Makefile in
> src.
>

> Ah, I think I noticed that I only allowed localhost requests in
> nrpe.cfg (see above).
>
> Let me fix this by adding the IP address of the Nagios server.
> I think as nrpe daemon on terra is started through inetd that
no
> further signalling is required.
> I trust nrpe will consult nrpe.cfg each time when it is spawned
> by inetd.
>
> But wait, the comment reads differently
>
> # ALLOWED HOST ADDRESSES
> # This is a comma-delimited list of IP address of hosts that
are
> allowed
> # to talk to the NRPE daemon.
> #
> # NOTE: The daemon only does rudimentary checking of the
client's
> IP
> #       address.  I would highly recommend adding entries in
your
> #       /etc/hosts.allow file to allow only the specified host
> connect
> #       to the port you are running this daemon on.
> #
> # NOTE: This option is ignored if NRPE is running under either
> inetd or xinetd
>
> allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1
>

> So what?

Linux
> box
> > > as my Manager.
> > > I know how smoothly most Open Source projects compile under
> Linux
> > > (no wonder I'd bet because the developers might well have
> been
> > > using this platform)
> > > Unfortunately to my great dissatisfaction and frustration I
> am
> > > stuck to this bloody AIX box to host the Nagios server, as
it
> is
> > > our admin server that alone has open SSH ports to every of
> our
> > > hosts I need to monitor.
> > > So it wouldn't make much sense to set up a Linux Nagios
> server
> > > that could be done in a wink, I guess,
> > > for I couldn't reach most of the firewalled hosts with the
> > > plug-ins from there.
> > > I think IBM bragged about latest AIX versions being capable
> of
> > > running Linux binaries in a sandbox.
> > > Unfortunately this AIX box of ours has a dated OS, and I am
> not
> > > the sysadmin on this server to be allowed to fiddle with
any
> > > major installations of prerequisites such as patches,
> libraries
> > > etc.
> > >

> > > This is the OS release
> > >
> > > $ uname -a
> > > AIX daisy 3 4 0045CB7A4C00
> > >
> > > Don't ask me how to get patch levels and the likes
displayed
> > > because my cup of tea are HPUX, Solaris and Linux.
> > > I don't even know how to query for installed software
> packages (I
> > > only know HP's SD tools like swlist, swinstall,
> > > Solaris' pkginfo, pkgchk, or Linux's rpm, apt etc.
> > > Besides, an OS that I cannot administrate thoroughly from
the
> > > shell is suspicious to me.
> > > So I've never made friends with smit/smitty.
> > >
> > > The linker on this AIX box that is found first in my PATH
> > > identifies as such
> > >
> > > $ which ld
> > > /usr/bin/ld
> > >
> > > $ ld -v
> > > ld: 0706-030 No processing done.  Specify at least one
> > >         input or import file or use at least one -b ex<n>
> option.
> > >
> > > $ ld -h
> > > ld: 0706-012 The -h flag is not recognized.
> > > ld: 0706-030 No processing done.  Specify at least one
> > >         input or import file or use at least one -b ex<n>
> option.
> > >
> > > Argh, typically AIX I would say.
> > > I loath programs that don't display a minimal help screen
and
> > > reveal their release version.
> > >

> > > Can you make anything out of this?
> > >
> > > As for the OpenSSL version you asked about.
> > > I also totally dismissed any SSL switches on a subsequent
> > > configure run after having removed prior created Makefiles
by
> > > make distclean because I also suspected an type mismatch in
> SSL
> > > header files to be the culprit.
> > > Nevertheless, the outcome was the same.
> > > So I don't consider OpenSSL idiosyncracies to be the
reason.

> > > # make distclean
> > >         cd ./src/; make clean ; cd ..
> > >         rm -f core nrpe check_nrpe
> > >         rm -f *~ */*~
> > >         rm -f core
> > >         rm -f *~ */*~
> > >         cd ./src/; make distclean ; cd ..
> > >         rm -f core nrpe check_nrpe
> > >         rm -f *~ */*~
> > >         rm -f Makefile
> > >         rm -f config.log config.status config.cache
nrpe.cfg
> > > nrpe.xinetd subst ./common//config.h init
> > > -script init-script.debian init-script.freebsd
> > >         rm -f Makefile
> > >

> > > # ./configure --prefix=/opt/sw/nagios
> --with-nagios-user=nagios
> > > --with-nagios-group=nagios --with-nagios-port=5666
> > > checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
> > > checking for gcc... gcc
> > > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... yes
> > > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a
> cross-compiler... no
> > > checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
> > > checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> > > checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> > > checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
> > > checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> > > checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be
> included...
> > > yes
> > > checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
> > > checking for ctype.h... yes
> > > checking for dirent.h... yes
> > > checking for errno.h... yes
> > > checking for fcntl.h... yes
> > > checking for getopt.h... no
> > > checking for grp.h... yes
> > > checking for inttypes.h... yes
> > > checking for netdb.h... yes
> > > checking for pwd.h... yes
> > > checking for signal.h... yes
> > > checking for stdint.h... no
> > > checking for strings.h... yes
> > > checking for string.h... yes
> > > checking for syslog.h... yes
> > > checking for unistd.h... yes
> > > checking for arpa/inet.h... yes
> > > checking for netinet/in.h... yes
> > > checking for sys/types.h... yes
> > > checking for sys/time.h... yes
> > > checking for sys/resource.h... yes
> > > checking for sys/wait.h... (cached) yes
> > > checking for sys/socket.h... yes
> > > checking for sys/stat.h... yes
> > > checking for working const... yes
> > > checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h...
> time.h
> > > checking for mode_t... yes
> > > checking for pid_t... yes
> > > checking for size_t... yes
> > > checking return type of signal handlers... void
> > > checking for uid_t in sys/types.h... yes
> > > checking type of array argument to getgroups... gid_t
> > > checking size of int... 4
> > > checking size of short... 2
> > > checking size of long... 4
> > > checking for uint32_t... yes
> > > checking for u_int32_t... yes
> > > checking for int32_t... yes
> > > checking for main in -lnsl... yes
> > > checking for socket in -lsocket... no
> > > checking for strdup... yes
> > > checking for strstr... yes
> > > checking for strtoul... yes
> > > checking for initgroups... yes
> > > checking for type of socket size... size_t
> > > checking for SSL... SSL found in /usr/local
> > >
> > > *** Generating DH Parameters for SSL/TLS ***
> > > warning, not much extra random data, consider using the
-rand
> > > option
> > > Generating DH parameters, 512 bit long safe prime,
generator
> 2
> > > This is going to take a long time
> > > 92770:error:24064064:random number
> > > generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not
seeded:md_rand.c:474:You
> > > need
> > > to read the OpenSSL FAQ,
> http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html
> > > 92770:error:05068003:Diffie-Hellman
> > > routines:DH_generate_parameters:BN lib:dh_gen.c:138:
> > > checking for Kerberos include files... could not find
include
> > > files
> > > checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
> > > creating ./config.status
> > > creating Makefile
> > > creating src/Makefile
> > > creating subst
> > > creating common/config.h
> > >

> > > *** Configuration summary for nrpe 2.0 09-08-2003 ***:
> > >
> > >  General Options:
> > >  -------------------------
> > >  NRPE port:  5666
> > >  NRPE user:  nagios
> > >  NRPE group: nagios
> > >

> > > Review the options above for accuracy.  If they look okay,
> > > type 'make all' to compile the NRPE daemon and client.
> > > # make all 2>&1|tee make_all.log
> > >         cd ./src/; make ; cd ..
> > >         gcc -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include/openssl
> > > -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o nrpe nrpe.c utils.c
> > > -L/usr/local/lib  -lssl -lcrypto -lnsl
> > > nrpe.c: In function `main':
> > > nrpe.c:198: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
> > > without a cast
> > > nrpe.c: In function `handle_connection':
> > > nrpe.c:755: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_read' from
> > > incompatible pointer type
> > > nrpe.c:927: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_write' from
> > > incompatible pointer type
> > > ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .get_dh512
> > > ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to
obtain
> more
> > > information.
> > > collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
> > > make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
> > >

> > > Stop.
> > > make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.
> > >

> > > Stop.
> > >

> > > No object files have been created thus far
> > >
> > > # find . -type f -name \*.o -ls
> > >
> > > This looks to me like a missing type definition from any
> missing
> > > header file.
> > >
> > > I don't know how to make use of the hint from the linker to
> try
> > > using switches -bloadmap or -bnoquiet
> > > to get further details.
> > > This doesn't
> > >
> > > # cd src
> > >
> > > # gcc -Xlinker -bloadmap -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include/openssl
> > > -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o
> > > nrpe nrpe.c utils.c -L/usr/local/lib  -lssl -lcrypto -lnsl
> > > nrpe.c: In function `main':
> > > nrpe.c:198: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
> > > without a cast
> > > nrpe.c: In function `handle_connection':
> > > nrpe.c:755: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_read' from
> > > incompatible pointer type
> > > nrpe.c:927: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_write' from
> > > incompatible pointer type
> > > ld: 0706-015 The -b loadmap option needs a parameter.
> > >         Option syntax: -b loadmap:PARM
> > > collect2: ld returned 255 exit status
> > >

> > > Ah, maybe the more verbose output from -bnoquiet is more
> > > revealing to you?
> > >

> > > # gcc -Xlinker -bnoquiet -g -O2
-I/usr/local/include/openssl
> > > -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o
> > > nrpe nrpe.c utils.c -L/usr/local/lib  -lssl -lcrypto -lnsl
> > > nrpe.c: In function `main':
> > > nrpe.c:198: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
> > > without a cast
> > > nrpe.c: In function `handle_connection':
> > > nrpe.c:755: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_read' from
> > > incompatible pointer type
> > > nrpe.c:927: warning: passing arg 2 of `SSL_write' from
> > > incompatible pointer type
> > > (ld): halt 4
> > > (ld): setopt r/o->w
> > > (ld): setopt nodelcsect
> > > (ld): savename nrpe
> > > (ld): filelist 9 4
> > > (ld): i /lib/crt0.o
> > > (ld): i /tmp/ccAlTMx1.o
> > > (ld): i /tmp/ccpYRSS6.o
> > > (ld): lib /usr/local/lib/libssl.a
> > > (ld): lib /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.a
> > > (ld): lib /usr/lib/libnsl.a
> > > (ld): i

/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0/2.95.3/libgcc.a
> > > (ld): lib /usr/lib/libg.a
> > > (ld): lib /usr/lib/libc.a
> > > LIBRARY: Shared object libssl.a[libssl.so]: 318 symbols
> imported.
> > > LIBRARY: Shared object libcrypto.a[libcrypto.so]: 1839
> symbols
> > > imported.
> > > LIBRARY: Shared object libnsl.a[shr.o]: 358 symbols
imported.
> > > LIBRARY: Shared object libc.a[shr.o]: 2268 symbols
imported.
0
> > > (ld): exports /usr/lib/libg.exp
> > > EXPORTS: Symbols exported: 4
> > > (ld): exports /tmp/ccczJ03I.x
> > > EXPORTS: Symbols exported: 0
> > > (ld): resolve
> > > RESOLVE: 441 of 6329 symbols were kept.
> > > (ld): addgl /usr/lib/glink.o
> > > ADDGL: Glink code added for 97 symbols.
> > > (ld): er full
> > > ld: 0711-318 ERROR: Undefined symbols were found.
> > >         The following symbols are in error:
> > >  Symbol                    Inpndx  TY CL
> Source-File(Object-File)
> > > OR Import-File{Shared-object}
> > >                               RLD: Address  Section
Rld-type

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Search_Projects.43.0.html?tx_netnag
> > > required

Solaris,
> AIX
furnished
> > > with a
> > > linking
thanks
> > > high
> > > these

> which
> > > are

package
> or
> > > depot

> NRPE
> > > depot
> the

> > > check_*

> nrpe?

> > > depots.

> compiled
> > > and
> > > check_npre

> > > available)

> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.2.0/2.95.3/specs

> -lnsl
> integer
> obtain
> > > more

> openssl
> later.

> this
> > > AIX
> plugin
> well
> > > on

> Nagios
> > > got
> check_disks
> > > etc.

> > > plugins/Makefile

plural.c

> of
> > > the

> > > Makefile
> > > /usr/local/tmp/nagios-plugins-1.4/plugins-scripts/Makefile

rule

andreas.ericsson at op5.se

Dual!'