[Nagiosplug-help] Question about check_ping

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Jun 10 10:51:55 CEST 2005

scott_yem at agilent.com wrote:
> Check_ping on my system is now returning:
>
> PING OK - DUPLICATES FOUND! Packet loss = 1%, RTA = 3.15 ms
>
> Could someone help me understand what DUPLICATES FOUND means.  I don't
> have errors in the log or any issues with the return results, but this
> is an oddity that I have just started seeing.

It can happen when you're pinging a broadcast address, or if there are
IP-conflicts on the network you're using. Try running check_icmp with
-vvvv. It's very noisy at that level of verbosity and will tell you
what's coming in and from where. If you see responses from multiple
IP's, you're pinging a broadcast address. Otherwise there's something
wrong with your network.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer