[Nagiosplug-help] Re: Re: Question about check_icmp operation

Horvath Tamas zsitfa at axelero.hu
Sat Mar 19 22:48:06 CET 2005

Hi Andreas!

Thank you very much your answers!

1.
"I'm interested in how this plugin works.

Tip1: it pings host1 (send 10 ICMP echo packets to it), than ping
host2 and so on."

"...For the latest and greatest, found at http://oss.op5.se/nagios, guess 1
is correct. ..."

In my scenario - I don't include a long story now - the guess1 method the
perfect. I will download the newest plugin.

"...although I might change it back if it makes sense ..."
I don't want you to change it back, but maybe you can add a command line
argument the change between this two kind of behavior. Although this is very
low priority and as I guess it will be very much work.

2.
"How can I interpret the timeout function?"

"...The -t flag (plugin timeout) overrides whatever value is calculated and
simply drops a SIGALRM in check_icmp's knees when the time is up, forcing it
into the finish() function. ..."

Suppose that I use check_icmp top ing 20 hosts, and the -t function cause to
finish the plugin after it try top ing 17 hosts. How ckeck_icmp will handle
ping results of the remaining hosts?

Thanks again.

Bye Tamas!