[Nagiosplug-help] Re: Re: Question about check_icmp operation

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Mar 19 23:54:03 CET 2005

Horvath Tamas wrote:
> Hi Andreas!
>
> Thank you very much your answers!
>
> 1.

[ seems resolved, so cut ]

> 2.
> "How can I interpret the timeout function?"
>
> "...The -t flag (plugin timeout) overrides whatever value is calculated and
> simply drops a SIGALRM in check_icmp's knees when the time is up, forcing it
> into the finish() function. ..."
>
> Suppose that I use check_icmp top ing 20 hosts, and the -t function cause to
> finish the plugin after it try top ing 17 hosts. How ckeck_icmp will handle
> ping results of the remaining hosts?

It won't have any results for those hosts. The -t flag is just there to
protect the system from having a lot of runaway processes. If you want
to be able to ping 20 hosts within 10 seconds you'll have to do
something like
-n 2 -i 20 -c 200,80% -w 80,60% -t 10

Then we'll get (20 * 2) * (20 + 200) = 8800 msec = 8.8 seconds.

You should definitely be aware that Nagios will truncate the output of
check_icmp in case you run it with multiple hosts though, so I really
recommend against it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer