[Nagiosplug-help] Fail to telnet NRPE port (5666)

Guy Waugh gwaugh at scu.edu.au
Tue May 17 17:06:46 CEST 2005

eugene wrote:
> When i try to telnet to port 5666 on my remote server, it will success
> but the telnet will drop after a few second

When you say it is successful, do you mean that you see something like this:

[root at nagios-server /]# telnet nrpe-client 5666
Trying x.x.x.x...
Connected to nrpe-client.domain.com (x.x.x.x).
Escape character is '^]'.

If you do see something like this (i.e. 'Connected to ...'), then you
are able to telnet to the host on that port.

> Can i know what is the problem? Anyone who is encounter this problem?
>
> I am having difficuilties to use NRPE, anyone has NRPE documentation? I
> had read its own documentation and also try to work on it
> , but still encounter failure

What failure are you experiencing? What exactly is the problem? Are you
using NRPE standalone or through inetd/xinetd? What operating system(s)
are you using?

Regards,
Guy.