[Nagiosplug-help] Fail to telnet NRPE port (5666)

eugene eugene at mnc.com.my
Thu May 19 16:42:39 CEST 2005

Guy,

> Just a thought: Have you set up the nagios user on the remote host? This
> is necessary, as this user is specified in your /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe file...

I also create a nagios user in remote host

> If you have already set up the nagios user on the remote host, have you
> tried executing the check_load plugin on the remote host as the nagios user?

I tried to login as "nagios" and use the check_load plugin as below. It works

[nagios at Testing libexec]$ ./check_load -w 5 -c 6
OK - load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00|load1=0.000000;5.000000;6.000000;0.000000 load5=0.000000;5.000000;6.000000;0.000000 load15=0.000000;5.000000;6.000000;0.000000

How to check all the steps below? I get this from nagios FAQ

a.. Different versions. Make sure you are using the same version of the check_nrpe plugin and the NRPE daemon. Newer versions of NRPE are usually not backward compatible with older versions.
a.. SSL is disabled. Make sure both the NRPE daemon and the check_nrpe plugin were compiled with SSL support and that neither are being run without SSL support (using command line switches).
a.. Incorrect file permissions. Make sure the NRPE config file (nrpe.cfg) is readable by the user (i.e. nagios) that executes the NRPE binary from inetd/xinetd.
a.. Pseudo-random device files are not readable. Greg Haygood noted the following... "After wringing my hair out and digging around with truss, I figured out the problem on my Solaris 8 boxen. The files /devices/pseudo/random* (linked through /dev/*random, and provided by Sun patch 112438) were not readable by the nagios user I use to launch NRPE. Making the character devices world-readable solved it."
a.. Unallowed address. If you're running the NRPE daemon under xinetd, make sure that you have a line in the xinetd config file that say "only_from = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address that you're connected to the NRPE daemon from.

Different versions
- I should have the same version on both remote host and nagios server
- I am using nrpe-2.0

SSL is disabled
- How to check this?

Incorrect filer permission
- I think should be correct
-rw-rw-rw-    1 nagios   nagios       5076 May 18 03:07 nrpe.cfg

Pseudo-random device files are not readable.
- How to check this?

Unallowed address
- I think is correct

         # default: on
        service nrpe
        {
                flags           = REUSE
                socket_type     = stream
                wait            = no
                user            = nagios
                server          = /usr/local/nagios/nrpe
                server_args     = -c /usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg --inetd
                log_on_failure  += USERID
                disable         = no
                only_from       = 10.1.8.77
        }