[Nagiosplug-help] Checking a router's interface by name

Justin Shore justin.shore at sktbcs.com
Thu Nov 10 13:53:00 CET 2005

Greetings, all.  I'm trying to find plugin that will let me check on the administrative or operational status of a router's interface.  Cisco interfaces are bad about renumbering themselves in SNMP in a number of different circumstances after rebooting.  This makes checking the interface's numerical ID very unreliable.  I'd like to check if by the ifDescr string.

IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING: FastEthernet0/0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: FastEthernet2/0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.3 = STRING: Null0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.4 = STRING: T1 0/0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.5 = STRING: T1 0/1
IF-MIB::ifDescr.6 = STRING: T1 2/0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.7 = STRING: T1 2/1
IF-MIB::ifDescr.8 = STRING: Serial0/0:0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.9 = STRING: Serial0/1:0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.10 = STRING: Serial2/0:0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.11 = STRING: Serial2/1:0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.12 = STRING: Serial2/0:0.1
IF-MIB::ifDescr.13 = STRING: Serial2/1:0.1
IF-MIB::ifDescr.14 = STRING: Serial0/0:0.1

In this case I'd like to check Serial0/0:0.1.  I just added that sub-interface.  When I reboot the router that sub-interface will be renumbered as interface #9.  It would be renumbered again if I were to create a sub-interface on FastEthernet 0/0 as well.

I use MRTG quite extensively.  I'd like to find a way that I can identify the interface by ifDescr similar to the way MRTG does.  I came across the check_ifoperastatus but I've been unable to get it to work.  I've provided -H, -C, and -d but it insists on additional arguments.  The usage wants -k, -H, and -C.  The usage you get with -h says that -k or -d are required.  Can any tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks
 Justin