[Nagiosplug-help] check_dns problem

Hugh Jones hugh at 3d-computers.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 07:03:01 CET 2005

Does anyone know why I might be getting "DNS WARNING - nslookup returned
error status" back from check_dns? It doesn't always happen, and it
seems to happen less after upgrading to nagios 2.0b5 and nagios-plugins
to 1.4.2.

I've tried check_dns from the command line on the nagios box, and it
does occasionally return the same error, but by using host or nslookup
directly (using watch, for ease of use!) it never comes back with an
error, so I'm a bit stumped as to why this might be happening. In my
previous job we were using nagios 1 which also used check_dns, but I
didn't experience this issue back then.

Is anyone able to shed any light on what might be causing this issue?
Googling and looking through the bug reports and archives didn't find
anything relevant...

Kind Regards,

Hugh Jones