[Nagiosplug-help] check_dns problem

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Tue Nov 15 07:29:19 CET 2005

On 15 Nov 2005, at 15:01, Hugh Jones wrote:

> Does anyone know why I might be getting "DNS WARNING - nslookup
> returned error status" back from check_dns? It doesn't always
> happen, and it seems to happen less after upgrading to nagios 2.0b5
> and nagios-plugins to 1.4.2.

Are you using RedHat? There is a known problem with bind on RedHat
where the nslookup and dig commands do not exit correctly due to a
kernel pthread issue.

If you are using Redhat, this problem is fixed in nagios-plugins
1.4.2, but you need to compile it yourself for the ./configure script
to pick up that your system has a problem and workaround it.

Alternatively, Sascha Runschke has been working with Red Hat and it
has been fixed in hotfix-kernel-2.6.9-22.12.EL, which you can
probably request from them through your support contract.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725