[Nagiosplug-help] How do i check dhcpd running on remote host

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Nov 17 05:52:02 CET 2005

Rajendra Adhikari wrote:
> Would you please confirm if the check_dhcp that you have patched is the
> one that is from http://oss.op5.se/nagios/op5plugins-2005-09-27.tar.gz.?

Yes.

> And also I would be very grateful if you kindly elaborate on the statement:
> check_dhcp must set up an udp socket at port 53 (or 54), which is < 1024
> and thus protected.

Unprivileged users (i.e. other than root) can't bind(2) sockets to a
port lower than 1024.

> Would you please check the following test:
>
> [root at de libexec]# ls -la check_dhcp
> -rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 106205 Nov 17 15:54 check_dhcp
> [root at de libexec]# check_dhcp -s 192.168.1.2
> DHCP problem: No DHCPOFFERs were received.
> [root at de libexec]#

check_dhcp --help

You need to specify explicitly that you wish to do a unicast request. As
I said, it's alpha (or possibly beta) code, so you might have to check
the sources on how to specify arguments. I can't (well, won't actually)
help you any further.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se