[Nagiosplug-help] check_by_ssh Host key verification failed

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Sun Oct 23 03:20:45 CEST 2005

> > I've some problems with check_by_ssh: I've setup things
> with a id_rsa
> > without password and everything works fine from shell as
> root and with
> > "su nagios"; added the hosts to the ~/.ssh/known_hosts and
> copied the
> > same file to nagios' home, I still get "Host key
> verification failed" in
> > the service output.. Any hint where to search further or
> how to find out
> > where check_by_ssh looks for known_hosts when run from
> within nagios ?
>
> Do the "su" routine again, but instead of specifying a
> hostname, specify
> the machine's IP address.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles

Just tried that, it worked also fine with specifiying IP's instead of the hostname but you pushed me in the right direction:
adding the FQDN which nagios has in hosts.cfg solved the problem.
I've now added all three hostname,FQDN&IP in the global /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts for checked hosts to make sure it works in future and only root can maintain it..

Thanks, Michael