[Nagiosplug-help] NRPE Not Responding

Mark Limburg mark.limburg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 16:58:42 CEST 2005

Morning List,

Okay, will try to define as much information here and with luck, I can get
this working before I have to release this into deployment end of business
today! Ahh, the joys of deadlines.

Two boxes .. Nagios 2.04 up and running (and performing very well) on the
central monitoring box, and NRPE sitting on my test box. Have two versions
of NRPE on there, with and without SSL as I was having the often-reported
issues with SSL Handshaking. So for now, and because the environment is a
closed environment, I'm testing witht he non-ssl builds of NRPE and
CHECK_NRPE. NRPE is currently in standalone mode. Copied the usual range of
local check commands to the NRPE box, and tested them locally .. all
working.

Here's the issue ..

bash-2.05$ ./check_nrpe_nossl -H ADL0808 -p 5666 -c check_users
CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon. Check the remote server logs for
error messages.

Can't find a logfile for NRPE.

Used ./check_tcp on 5666 and the port is there and listening.

Checked the config file, and it looks fine ..

command[check_users]=/apps/nagios/nrpe/libexec/check_users -w 5 -c 10

I'm running out of ideas here, quickly. Anyone able to shed some light here?

Mark