[Nagiosplug-help] [Nagios-users] BUG: check_disk doesn'tsupport LVM volumes

Martin J. Green mgreen at altien.com
Tue Aug 1 12:45:35 CEST 2006

Updating fedora fixed the problem :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de [mailto:Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de]
Sent: 01 August 2006 07:12
To: Martin J. Green; meo at intrinsity.com;
nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Nagiosplug-help] [Nagios-users] BUG: check_disk
doesn'tsupport LVM volumes

Almost all of the hosts I monitor with Nagios use some kind of
volume manager
(either LVM on HP-UX and Linux, or VxVM on Solaris),
and I have no problem whatsoever with check_disk on those.

I wonder why you check the partitions (or better LVs in your
case)
instead of having all local mounts checked by explicitly
excluding
those which make no sense (e.g. media mounts like CD-ROMs) or
special filesystems
(like iso9660 or cdfs, procfs, tmpfs etc.)
For the first use the -x option, and for the latter -X (both can
be used repeatedly)
As I usually have those checks executed on behalf of an nrpe
daemon
I simply define an appropiate command in nrpe.conf of the
monitored host

E.g. for Linux boxes I would use an nrpe command like

# grep check_disk_LOCPCT_W10C5 /usr/lib/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
command[check_disk_LOCPCT_W10C5]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_di
sk -e -l -X iso9660 -X nfs -X proc -X sysv -X tmpfs -w 10% -c 5%

where warning state is reached when percentage free space is less
than 10% and a critical state when less than 5%.
As you can see the "%" doesn't need any special quoting for the
shell.

Besides, I think it doesn't make sense to check the state of NFS
mounts
why I use the -l option above to restrict the check on local
filesystems.
Because of unnecessary performance penalties (querying rpc.statd)
and possible absence of RPC services or stale NFS handles etc.
those shared NFS filesystems should rather be checked on the
exporting server, I would assume.

Of
> Martin J. Green
> Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 5:57 PM
> To: Miles O'Neal; nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Cc: nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Nagiosplug-help] [Nagios-users] BUG: check_disk
> doesn'tsupport LVM volumes
>

> / is the lvm volume and there's no hda1 (the machine has scsi
disks in
> hardware raid), but if I don't use *any* partition as an
argument it
> shows everything correctly (all partitions). I can also look at
other
> stuff like /dev/shm etc ok.
>
> Output of df...
>
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted
on
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
>                      142965368  75163388  60422628  56% /
> /dev/md0                101018     10525     85277  11% /boot
> /dev/shm               3070648         0   3070648   0%
/dev/shm
> 192.168.254.1:/storage/vm
>                      1118120992 1020981088  39426400  97%
/mnt/storage

> And df -hP

> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01  137G   72G   58G  56% /
> /dev/md0               99M   11M   84M  11% /boot
> /dev/shm              3.0G     0  3.0G   0% /dev/shm
> 192.168.254.1:/storage/vm  1.1T  974G   38G  97% /mnt/storage
>
> Oh and nfs mounts don't work either (again they show up when
> its passed
> no partition as an argument, but try and check it on its own
and it
> doesn't work).

&CID=DEVDEV