[Nagiosplug-help] check_snmp: SNMPv3 + context: How to specify the context?

Thomas Karcher thkarcher at gmx.de
Sun Jan 8 15:25:32 CET 2006

Hi at all,

I'm running nagios SNMP checks with check_snmp (nagios-plugins 1.4)
1.53.

Because I'm monitoring over the Internet, I decided to use SNMPv3 with
authPriv.

I'd like to monitor several machines behind a firewall (that itself is
monitored as well) without relying on a VPN. On the firewall machine,
there's a SNMP daemon running. Via the SNMP proxy functionality, I can
provide the same SNMP MIB tree under different "contexts":
/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf:
proxy -Cn machine2 -v 1 -c public 192.168.15.248 .1.3
proxy -Cn machine3 -v 1 -c public 192.168.15.4 .1.3

When I ask now my firewall via SNMP with standard context, I get the
information from the firewall. When I ask it with context "machine2", I
get the SNMP stuff fro192.168.15.248m 192.168.15.248.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a possibility to specify the context via
check_snmp - has anyone a hint?

I would like to avoid specifying different check commands for different
hosts ...

Thanks a lot,
best regards,
Thomas