[Nagiosplug-help] Re: check_mysql cleanup in configure

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Mon Mar 20 01:32:08 CET 2006

On 18 Mar 2006, at 14:59, sean finney wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 02:15:36PM +0000, Ton Voon wrote:
>> I've done a bit of cleanup on the mysql detection in configure for
>> the Nagios plugins. I wish I read Jason Bodnar's email re:
>> mysql_config earlier - that might have saved me a lot of time...
>>
>> CVS HEAD should fix problems with
>>   - not linking to the libraries at run time
>
> by this do you mean statically compiling the plugin?  if so it's still
> dynamically linked, but i'd say that's how it ought to be.

check_mysql should be dynamically linked.

> or, do you mean hardcoding the library path with -rpath?  in
> debian use of -rpath is generally discouraged, though i could
> see how it's useful in situations wher the plugins are being
> compiled from source.  however, it would be nice if the -rpath related
> additions to the mysql detections respected the --disable-rpath
> configure flag, so that in my debian builds i wouldn't have to
> patch anything for this but could instead just pass --disable-rpath
> as part of my ./configure line.

I'm going to have to admit ignorance here: why not -rpath? Is it
better to use -L?

I was following the docs from http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/
autobook_88.html which says that -rpath should always be used
(although I cannot find this same statement in libtool's official
documentation: http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html).

After investigating mysql_config, I think it may be better to switch
to that method instead. http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=1359414&group_id=29880&atid=397597. But would give
similar problems for Debian packages?

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243