[Nagiosplug-help] Re: check_mysql cleanup in configure

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Tue Mar 21 13:22:08 CET 2006

On 21 Mar 2006, at 12:59, sean finney wrote:

> hey ton,
>
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 12:02:40PM +0000, Ton Voon wrote:
>> I've committed the change for use of mysql_config. I've also removed
>> the one other place I was using -rpath and replaced with -L. It
>> appears that libtool replaces -L with -rpath in the gcc linking stage
>> - I don't know if this will give you problems, but when I disabled
>> the use of libtool, plugins/tests/test_utils would not run correctly
>> (could not find the libtap.a library in /usr/local/lib). So I'm
>> guessing that we should use -L to find libraries and libtool will
>> work out if a run path needs to be added.
>
> my hope is that libtool's autoconf hooks will add the -rpath when
> necessary, and abstain from it --disable-rpath is passed to configure.
> i'll let you know if i see any problems.

OK.

>> It is a lot cleaner doing it via mysql_config. One casualty is
>> that --
>> with-mysql is now deprecated.
>>
>> Any comments on doing the mysql discovery this way?
>
> well, how about we have --with-mysql change behaviour, such that it
> should now point to the location of mysql_config?  if it points to
> something that is not mysql_config (like a directory as it was
> previously used), we'd of course have to decide if the configure
> script should exit with an informative message, or attempt to find
> mysql_config underneath said directory (i assume silently continuing
> would be a bad thing).  alternatively we could deprecate with-mysql
> entirely and introduce a --with-mysql-config.

It makes sense to have options that help with building - such as --
with-nslookup-command - because then you can build the Debian
packages without actually having the commands there. However,
mysql_config is required to build check_mysql so we can't avoid that
requirement. So then does it make sense to specify where mysql_config
is/could be, or just leave it to $PATH?

I think the options are:
   1) deprecate --with-mysql
   2) add to $PATH the value for --with-mysql with a /bin suffix (not
unreasonable given the old definition of --with-mysql, but
potentially wrong)
   3) deprecate --with-mysql and introduce a new --with-mysql-config
to point to directory containing mysql_config and add that to PATH
   4) 2 & 3, with maybe a statement that --with-mysql will be dropped
in future versions

I guess 4 is the most "backwards compatible". I favour 1, because I
like to keep things clean. Any votes?

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243