[Nagiosplug-help] Re: check_mysql cleanup in configure

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Wed Mar 22 03:24:31 CET 2006

On 21 Mar 2006, at 21:58, sean finney wrote:

> hey ton,
>
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 09:21:12PM +0000, Ton Voon wrote:
>> It makes sense to have options that help with building - such as --
>> with-nslookup-command - because then you can build the Debian
>> packages without actually having the commands there. However,
>> mysql_config is required to build check_mysql so we can't avoid that
>> requirement. So then does it make sense to specify where mysql_config
>> is/could be, or just leave it to $PATH?
>
> agreed.
>
>> I think the options are:
>>   1) deprecate --with-mysql
>>   2) add to $PATH the value for --with-mysql with a /bin suffix (not
>> unreasonable given the old definition of --with-mysql, but
>> potentially wrong)
>>   3) deprecate --with-mysql and introduce a new --with-mysql-config
>> to point to directory containing mysql_config and add that to PATH
>>   4) 2 & 3, with maybe a statement that --with-mysql will be dropped
>> in future versions
>>
>> I guess 4 is the most "backwards compatible". I favour 1, because I
>> like to keep things clean. Any votes?
>
> how about:
>
> - deprecate with-mysql (exit with an error saying to use
>   --with-mysql-config if used)
> - provide an option --with-mysql-config allowing the local
>   admin to specify the location of mysql_config
> - if not specified, take `which mysql_config` if there is one.
> - else disable mysql support?

I've just tried with ./configure --with-mysql and ./configure
silently allows this, so I agree you are right to exit with an error.
I'll do that now.

However, I'm not too keen on --with-mysql-config. I've just tried ./
configure PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin and that picks up
mysql_config correctly (and vice verse if PATH doesn't point to it).
Given that a --with-mysql-config implementation would just add to
PATH, why not just use the PATH= syntax instead?

I wouldn't mind adding --with-mysql-config if this was a pure mysql
project, but to do something similar for each technology (--with-
postgres-config, --with-oracle-headers, --with-snmp-includes, etc)
seems to be overkill.

I'm willing to change the error if mysql_config is not found to say
it should be included in the PATH, so that should cover issues if
people can't get it to compile.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243