[Nagiosplug-help] make of nagios-plugins-1.4.5 on AIX 4.3 fails for check_swap with "Undefined symbol: .floor"

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Wed Nov 29 09:50:38 CET 2006

Hello Andreas,

thank you for the quick help.

I really don't know what had kept me to just continue yesterday
as you are suggesting?

Maybe I was a bit intimidated by the Makefile's effluence
so that I feared not to get the make install properly through
finally.
But am I right in assuming that all that is required after the
individual make of only the required plugins
was to copy them into $USER1$ (aka NAGIOS_ROOT/libexec)?

Obviously 29 plugins were built successfully from my "make all"
until make check_swap caused the premature abort.

$ ls -F|grep \*\$
check_apt*
check_by_ssh*
check_disk*
check_dns*
check_dummy*
check_fping*
check_hpjd*
check_http*
check_load*
check_mrtg*
check_mrtgtraf*
check_mysql*
check_mysql_query*
check_nagios*
check_ntp*
check_nwstat*
check_overcr*
check_ping*
check_procs*
check_real*
check_smtp*
check_snmp*
check_ssh*
check_tcp*
check_time*
check_ups*
check_users*
negate*
urlize*

$ ls -F|grep -c \*\$
29

But there seem to be many more source files in the plugins subdir
of the source tree

$ echo *.c|wc -w
      44

I can see that at least one vital plugin so far is missing.
But I can't find a source file for it.

$ ls -l check_{udp,tcp}.c
ls: 0653-341 The file check_udp.c does not exist.
-rw-r--r--   1 nagios   nagios     18728 Oct 20 01:53 check_tcp.c

Could this mean that check_udp is merely a link to check_tcp (or
some other check_*),
and that when invoked in this guise the check behaves accordingly

(viz. emitting UDP packets instead of TCP)?

I also think to recall to have heard somewhere that similarily if
one links check_host to check_icmp,
and uses this name as the general host check, that nagios would
then only send a single ICMP packet
to a service's host, when that service check returned unknown,
instead of several like check_icmp does?

Regards

Ralph

check_anotherplugin

> I'm sure you get the idea. Assuming the Makefile is properly
written,
> all required dependencies should be built automagically.
Building one
> plugin at the time might be the best way to go, as it will
> allow you to
> move forward with the easy things quickly while leaving
problems for