[Nagiosplug-help] make of nagios-plugins-1.4.5 on AIX 4.3 fails for check_swap with "Undefined symbol: .floor"

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Nov 29 13:46:40 CET 2006

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:
> But am I right in assuming that all that is required after the
> individual make of only the required plugins
> was to copy them into $USER1$ (aka NAGIOS_ROOT/libexec)?

Yes.

> Obviously 29 plugins were built successfully from my "make all"
> until make check_swap caused the premature abort.
>

> $ ls -F|grep -c \*\$
> 29
>

> But there seem to be many more source files in the plugins subdir
> of the source tree

Some of those are library files. Others are only built if your system
meets certain preconditions (check_pgsql, check_mysql and the likes).

> $ echo *.c|wc -w
>       44
>
> I can see that at least one vital plugin so far is missing.
> But I can't find a source file for it.
>
> $ ls -l check_{udp,tcp}.c
> ls: 0653-341 The file check_udp.c does not exist.
> -rw-r--r--   1 nagios   nagios     18728 Oct 20 01:53 check_tcp.c
>

> Could this mean that check_udp is merely a link to check_tcp (or
> some other check_*),
> and that when invoked in this guise the check behaves accordingly

Yes.

> I also think to recall to have heard somewhere that similarily if
> one links check_host to check_icmp,
> and uses this name as the general host check, that nagios would
> then only send a single ICMP packet
> to a service's host, when that service check returned unknown,
> instead of several like check_icmp does?

Moderately correct. When check_icmp is invoked as check_host, it stops
sending as soon as it receives any valid ICMP response what so ever. It
still sends 5 packets (per default) before giving up entirely. This is a
very useful thing to do since it means a hostcheck can be completed in
round_trip_time+system_time (usually 10 - 300 milliseconds), instead of
always using at least 5 seconds as was the default earlier.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se