[Nagiosplug-help] nagios vs. bigbrother/hobbit

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Mon Sep 4 10:28:53 CEST 2006

On 4 Sep, 2006, at 10:10, Chris wrote:

> Comments pls, the powers that be in my orginisation is trying real
> hard to replace nagios with hobbit.
>
> What ammo do I have to convince them otherwise????

Isn't the more important question -why- they want to replace nagios?

The only real ammo that you have that is worth anything to management
is that you will need to spend a lot of man hours in order to
facilitate this switch. So first let them tell you explicitly what
they perceive as the bonus received from switching. Should their
ideas be based on falsehoods, then you should be capable of
dispelling these easily.

As is often the case with these kinds of decisions, they probably
haven't thought it over very well. Probably some manager that
installed it at home and thought it looked nicer than what you have...

So... First let them explain in detail why the want to switch :)
Don't "demand" it from them, but tell them that you're trying to save
them from great expenses, if possible.

Cheers!

Thomas