[Nagiosplug-help] nagios vs. bigbrother/hobbit

Thomas Sluyter nagios at kilala.nl
Mon Sep 4 10:49:47 CEST 2006

On 4 Sep, 2006, at 10:28, Thomas Sluyter wrote:

> On 4 Sep, 2006, at 10:10, Chris wrote:
>
>> Comments pls, the powers that be in my orginisation is trying real
>> hard to replace nagios with hobbit.
>>
>> What ammo do I have to convince them otherwise????
>
> Isn't the more important question -why- they want to replace nagios?

I've taken the time to take a very short look at Hobbit (I really
ought to be doing other stuff right now) and the only discerning
feature I've discovered so far is that Hobbit has a centralised
configuration, whereas most of Nagios' configuration happens on the
client-side (depending on your approach). So if you'd like to set
certain boundaries for hard disk usage for example, in almost all
cases * with Nagios you'll have to set the boundaries on each client
individually. With Hobbit you'd make all these settings on the server.

Yes, this can definitely be a time saver, but IMHO it's not enough to
make the switch :)

Cheers!

Thomas

*: the biggest exception to this rule being monitoring through SNMP.