[Nagiosplug-help] check_disk and DRDB

Justin Maloney justinm at honeycomb.net
Thu Aug 30 15:04:25 CEST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: nagiosplug-help-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagiosplug-help-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
Andreas Ericsson
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:48 AM
To: Thomas Guyot-Sionnest
Cc: nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagiosplug-help] check_disk and DRDB

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

> On 29/08/07 05:17 PM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> Yes. Look closely at your command-line and you'll notice you've
>> specified /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 without a -p in front of it.
>> I'd have expected check_disk to barf on this, since it's not
>> a valid argument on its own (as it lacks the preceding -p),
>> but apparently it doesn't. Add the -p or remove the /dev/cciss/c0d0p3
>> and you should be fine.
>
> Indeed, this is something I believe should be addressed in the next
> major version of Nagios-plugins. Most plugins out there tries to be
> smart. I believe it doesn't always help users, and often makes
> programming more tricky.
>

>True. For small programs, being clever is quite the wrong thing to
>do, as it hardly ever matches user expectation. Barfing loudly on
>any error and requiring a command-line without errors is something
>any user expects and finds quite normal.
>
>--
>Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
>OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
>Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

The problem gets even more complicated.  If I can't monitor the /dev
device and need to monitor the mount point, how do I monitor disk usage
on a disk that could be on either machine at any point in time? I can
only ask the server that has the mount and that can change randomly.
They do have a shared IP that floats between them.  I think I could have
ha.d start another nrpe server on that IP whenever it moves.  I'll try
to figure all that out after we hopefully come up with a way to monitor
the space.

Thank you,
Justin Maloney
Systems Administrator