[Nagiosplug-help] Monitor Compaq Hardware / Compaq Insight Manager?

s. d. rose s_david_rose at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 01:16:08 CET 2007

Hello all.
  Being reasonably new to MRTG, I have recently setup an environment where I
downloaded and compiled version 2.6 onto a vmware player of Fedora Core 5.
( I downloaded from VMWare's site the player appliance download of
FC5&Nagios <version 2.3> and then downloaded & compiled 2.6).

  I setup NSClient on my WinXP notebook, and also MRTGEXT in SYS:System on
my Netware server.  I setup per the documentation + web help a configuration
to monitor the local Linux OS usercount + diskspace under the VM, the
Diskspace under the NSClient for WinXP, plus number of connections+ disk
free in SYS and VOL1 for Netware.  This works and I'm happy.

  My Problem is with monitoring Compaq & HP Hardware via Compaq insight
manager on WinXP OS.  I'm not sure what's needed, or what plug-ins do what.
I want to monitor all relevent hardware failures, such as RAID-5 arrays,
external (SCSI) drive arrays, motherboard, R-ILO, plus CPU%, drive space
available, etc.

  My questions thus far are:  Is this monitoring done via SNMP?  IS this
done via a special plugin to Nagios, generic SNMP, or both?

  In a situation like this, is NSClient required for the hardware
monitoring?  Will this monitor Compaq hardware running Linux?

  I've read it's possible, but I don't know where to start or what to
download.

All help & advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards!
Dave Rose