[Nagiosplug-help] Checking for hung services on Windows?

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Fri Mar 16 05:47:50 CET 2007

On 15/03/07 08:32 PM, C. Bensend wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
>    I've had a request from some of our people to test for a specific
> service on a Windows server that hangs occasionally.  I wasn't able to
> get further details yet, but it sounds like it stops responding at
> some point.  It's not a network application, so I cannot test it via
> the network or anything simple like that.
>
>    I checked NagiosExchange and didn't notice anything, and I haven't
> found anything in the archives.  Hell, I'm a UNIX guy, I don't even
> know HOW you'd check for something like this on a Windows machine.  I
> already have checks set up for testing if a service or app is running,
> but I don't know about detecting an unresponsive process.
>
>    Does anyone out there do this?  Or know _how_ to do this?  This
> one is a little out of my realm...

Hi Benny,

I'm not sure what exactly you want to check... If you want to check if
services appear as "Started" from Windows's service manager you can do
that with NC_Net and their updated check_nt.c (just drop it in the
plugins/ directory of Nagios-plugins, compile and install).

Additionally you can check that all services that are set as "Automatic"
are running (minus an exclude list passed as an argument) using my perl
check "check_winsvc" on NagiosExchange.

NC_Net original page:
http://www.shatterit.com/nc_net/

NC_Net SourceForge page (Seems more updated than ShatterIt, never tested
it myself)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nc-net

My check_winsvc plugin (Updated 5 min. ago):
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Windows.49.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=705

Good luck!

Thomas