[Nagiosplug-help] check_cpu with SNMP

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Fri May 25 16:14:00 CEST 2007

Hello,
before reinventing the wheel I rather start a discussion and hope for
input:

Plugins like check_snmp_load.pl check for the CPU-usage in percent by
quering the OID ssCpuIdle (somewhere below 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11). This
counter is not well implemented on all systems (sometimes it shows
the average since uptime, f.e. on Ubuntu Server and probably on all
debian-systems) and therefore deprecated. All recommendations state
to use ssCpuRawIdle instead. Since this is a counter, you have
calculate the usage yourself. I see different possibilities for this:

1. Write a statusfile to the disk of the Nagiosserver (where the
plugin resides): Not recommended following the guidelines
2. Poll twice, with a 10 seconds delay - this makes the plugin stay
in the queue for at least 10 sec. doing nothing: Possible, but what
if there are 1000s of such checks? And because of the small delta,
network-latencies can get into the calculation.
3. Write the counter as it is to a local rrd (or other database) and
poll this rrd by a special plugin: requires rrdtool installed and
configured.

I would prefer solution 3, since I am interested in recording the
performance data anyway. So there is no overhead in polling and
writing. But may be someone already has a better solution for this.

Comments are welcome, cheers, Ingo.

--
Ingo Lantschner
Vienna/Austria