[Nagiosplug-help] Problem with nagios check_ping plugin

Alex Dehaini alexdehaini at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:19:08 CEST 2007

Hi Everyone,

I have been using nagios for 2 months now and it is really good. So far, all
plug-ins work well but recently the check_ping plugin has been acting funny
and giving wrong results.

This is the OS info
OS - Debian
Nagios Version 2.9
Problem = check_ping plugin reports alot of packet loss on our network but
when we use regular ping commands, it is not true. check_ping looks like
this in the command.cfg file

# 'check_ping' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_ping
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c
$ARG2$ -p 10
        }

This is an example of a service that uses check_ping

define service{
        use                             servers
        host_name                       bhslave at nkwanta
        service_description             PING
        check_command                   check_ping!200.0,20%!600.0,60%
        }

The problem is nagios will warn me of 28% packet loss to this host that is 3
hops away from the monitoring system and the RTA will be about 60ms. It does
this randomly. I will like to know how nagios computes this info and how it
determines this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Alex Dehaini